Glasgow Hawks Rugby Club Tangent Graphic

Match against Dundee HSFP (08-Dec-2007)

Date: Saturday, 8th December 2007
Kickoff time: 14:00
Against: Dundee HSFP
Team: Hawks 1st XV
Location: Away
Competition: Premiership Division 1
Final score: 17 - 16 (won)

Dundee High suffered yet another dose of last-gasp heartbreak as their quest to dodge the drop was severely dented by Glasgow Hawks at Mayfield.

The Taysiders were in front going into the dying seconds - but then came the Hawks salvage act to snatch a 16-17 win.

Ally Maclay powered over for the try before Ian Noble gleefully thumped over the conversion from the widest possible angle.

Dundee v Glasgow Hawks
Close this window

Posted 08 December 2007 by Dave

The forecast snow didn’t materialise at a chilly and breezy Mayfield for the game against Glasgow Hawks. Hawks kicked off with the wind behind them and were immediately put back in their own half with Richie Hawkins and Chris Cumming carrying the ball into the 22. The pressure was relentless and when Hawks tried to boot the ball to safety it was charged down for Mike Kerr to collect and score. Barry Jones converted to put Dundee 7 – 0 up.

Hawks barely set foot out in Dundee territory for the remainder of the half. Mike Kerr, Ross Lemon and Aubrey Horton all looked dangerous with ball in hand. What possession Hawks had was harried and disrupted as the Dundee forwards defended on the front foot with Dundee’s man of the match George Oommen at his best alongside back row colleagues Stephan Dreyer and Scot McKee.

The pressure eventually yielded a kickable penalty chance and Barry put Dundee 10 – 0 ahead.

Hawks threatened briefly towards the end of the half but were contained before Barry had a long pot at goal drift wide.

Dundee 10, Glasgow Hawks 0

An early penalty strike from Barry extended Dundee’s advantage after Dundee retrieved their kick-off and battered to within 5m of the Hawk’s line.

Hawks matched that with a penalty success of their own and four minutes later kicked to touch for an attacking lineout in the Dundee22. The ball was shipped wide and Hawks crossed for an unconverted try wide on their right. 13 – 10.

With Dundee increasingly falling foul of the referee as the game moved into the final quarter, Hawks were keeping the home side at bay. But the home side kept working and creating problems for Hawks earning a penalty in the 22 which Barr stroked over to put Dundee 16 – 10 in front with 15 minutes to go.

But things seem destined to go against Dundee this season and a yellow card reduced Dundee to seven in the pack with 10 minutes to go. Dundee dug deep defending ferociously and despite being a man down had their own chance against the run of play. Hawks' ball was intercepted and hacked and chased into their 22 but a knock-on let them off the hook. The game returned to the Dundee 22 and in the last play of the match Hawks chose to tap a penalty in front of Dundee’s posts. The ball was moved right and squeezed over in the corner. The conversion was adjudged good and Hawks had pulled off a win that had looked unlikely for most of the game.

Dundee 16, Glasgow Hawks 17

The other Hawks try was bagged by Marc Davids, who also shared the kicking points with Noble.

Mike Kerr claimed the only Dundee touchdown, with Barry Jones converting and landing three penalties.

No team list has been added yet.

Click here to go back to the previous page

Craig Hodgkinson Trust PMA Contracts LtdTopmark Adjusters Hawks Lotto
Copyright © 2008 Glasgow Hawks RFC | website by HyphenDesign and InterScot Network